Tuesday 12 November 2013

Mouse unavailable in Windows Server 2012 R2 on XenServer 6.2

After a fresh installation of Windows Server 2012 R2 on XenServer 6.2, the mouse became unavailable. Even with the latest patches available from Citrix (up to XS62E009) and the XenTools installed, still no mouse. It was available from Remote Desktop, but not really convenient.

After some research, I checked in the Device Manager and found an issue with the PCI to USB Universal Host Controller.

I uninstalled it and went to Action, Scan for hardware changes...

The PCI to USB Universal Host Controller was successfully recreated, and a USB Root Hub has also been successfully added.



The mouse is now available, and no reboot is required.

This issue might come back; it seems to be a known issue with Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows 8.1. See this post on Citrix Forums.


7 comments:

  1. When I delete this device and scan for hardware changes I lose the RDP connection and windows just locks up. I have to force a restart which takes me right back to the same condition. If I use RDP I'm ok but not at the console using the default desktop. Aggravating! I can't believe as long as this has been out that this critical issue exists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post saved me! In my lab, I don't have the ability to upgrade from XS6.2 to SP1. This allows me to continue to be ready for my customers. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you do something special besides XenServer patches to get R2 to install? I can get 2012 to install, but not R2. Are there differences in install templates? Did you just use the 2012 template and an r2 iso?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article. It works for me on XenServer 6.1 with Windows 2012 R2. Thank you very much !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, great it worked like charm. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete